18 June 2008

Anniversary #9


Last thursday was our 9th anniversary.  It is hard to believe that so many years have gone by so quickly already.  I am sure that many people feel this way about their lives.  In order to commemorate (or remember), I thought I'd compile a short list of fun facts about us.
Since we got married on Saturday June 12th, 1999, the following things have happened:
  • We've lived in 8 different locations (here at our house for 5 of the 9 years).
  • We've traveled to all of the following locations: States:Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, California, and Alaska.  (I traveled to North Carolina, Virginia, Colorado, and Tennessee). Provinces:British Columbia, and Yukon.  Countries: (US), Canada, Spain, England, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, France and Italy.
  • We've biked (Abe), hiked (both), snowshoed, backpacked, camped, stayed at B&B's, rode ferries, trains and planes.
  • We've gone to the Strawberry Music Festival and listened to Alison Krauss.  We've seen the Decemberists, Social Distortion, Brandy Carlile, Watermark, Delerious, the Black Keys, Foghorn Stringband, Stavesacre, the Pale (pacific), and The Killers all in concert (and others I cannot remember right now).
  • We bought our first house in 2003 and are still working to do improvements to it (many). We have both completed our Bachelor's degrees in English Literature, I completed my teaching certification and Abe is attending graduate school.  
  • We have fostered 3 dogs (Ethel, Beatrice and Oscar-and adopted one).  We've become Pit Bull advocates and are totally devoted to our dogs Ethel and Eleanor.
  • We've accumulated too many books to remember, number or recall (and read some of them).
  • We've downloaded too many songs into itunes to remember, recall or number (but there are a lot).
  • We've spent our anniversaries in the following locations:
  1. (honeymoon) B & B in Ashland Oregon and then drove up the Oregon Coast.
  2. Spirit of Washington Dinner Train (in Renton) to the St. Michelle Winery in Woodinville & then a B & B in Port Townsend.
  3. Day out in Seattle: Space Needle for Brunch, Experience Music Project (EMP) tour, dinner at Rialto and a Mariner's game.
  4. Yakima ( wine tasting and stayed at a B & B)
  5. Tacoma (Went to Chihuly Glass Museum & stayed at B & B).
  6. Centralia (stayed at McMenamin's Olympic Hotel and Antiqued).
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. White Rock, B.C.- dinner at Giraffe's and a lovely evening walk on the pier
So, I guess the moral of the story here is, write it down.  I cannot remember where all we've been.  I am starting to lose track.  We've chosen some unusual places to go and enjoy our time together but as long as we're together, it has always been an adventure.  From Abe getting sick on our honeymoon to our car breaking down in Yakima at the campground to our car getting broken into in front of the Space Needle in Seattle, we've always managed to have fun and enjoy each other.  I suppose that is what is ultimately important.  When I got married at 19, I never felt like I was giving something up.  I felt like I was gaining a best friend that would be with me wherever I went and who supported me in whatever I did.  And I have.  It is not always easy sharing your life with someone (especially when you have certain expectations and we all do) but it is always worth it.  For all the places I've gone and all the things I've seen and done, I wouldn't trade any of it.

No comments: