05 July 2013

music {favorites} and emotional longing

Sometimes I run across artists that are able to articulate and share music in such a lovely way that I can hardly explain how it touches me emotionally.  It is the sound of their voices, the way they use their voices and the words and instruments that make sounds that are truly indescribable.  One of those artists is someone I ran across truly by fluke through YouTube.  Aven was in a phase of loving the song "Hallelujah" that she had heard and started to want to hear every version under the sun.  So we did.  We listened to the Shrek, Kate Voegele, KD Lang version, the original Leonard Cohen version and about every possible artist that performed on the Voice, America's Got Talent or American Idol.  One day though I ran across the artist Natalie Lungley a British artist that displayed a truly flawless and effortless talent for performing this song with her haunting and slightly melancholy tone.

Tonight I checked in on her website and listened to her cover (she does several) of Damien Rice's song "9 Crimes"and I almost had chills.  It is hard to truly put into words how listening to her voice makes me feel but it is both peaceful and a little mysterious.  Head on over and check out her music and website here.  Some of my favorite covers are "Hallelujah," Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares to You," "Somebody that I used to know" by Gotye and the new post of Damien Rice's "9 Crimes."

As you may remember, I started a blog called Circular-Review on blogger.  I don't actively post many things there but if you like you can skip over there for some of my thoughts on music.

Thanks for listening to my rambles.  Music has always been a critical part of my life.  A way to mark the eras and the moments in my life.  So many emotional memories are tied to music and for me it helps me connect to life, God, and people.  There is something so wonderful about an acoustic guitar or a toe tapping mountain song or lyrics that convict and encourage and admonish and surround and to me they make up the life that I live and are a crucial piece.  Enjoy Natalie's Music and any other artists that truly feed your soul.

No comments: