14 September 2010

A Nearly Perfect Weekend

You know when you first get married and you just want to spend all of your time with your spouse and everything seems fun and special, even cleaning the house and going grocery shopping? You just want to do it together because you are cute little newlyweds and you want to hang out all the time. To me that is a lot like having a baby. Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy my breaks and time away to mentally recuperate from taking care of an infant (although she is a pretty good baby) but sometimes on my days off I just like to listen to her gurgle, read her lots of stories, give her a bath and just gaze at the wonderment of what it is like to be a baby growing and changing so fast.

This last weekend was no exception. It was the first weekend we'd both had off together since we went camping mid-August. On Saturday we slept in and woke up next to our beautiful little girl smiling at us in bed. We often bring her in for the last few hours of sleep just to snuggle a bit (and lets be honest because I am too lazy to go put her back in her crib at 5am!). Needless to say, it was a nice way to start the day. After this we got ourselves put together and made a plan for the day starting with breakfast at Marlin's Cafe (inside historic Nelson's Market). We walked the few blocks and enjoyed a yummy breakfast and coffee while Aven took a short cat nap in my arms. Next we went and installed some cabinets for a job that Abe is working on. It is always nice to see the finished project coming together and this was no exception. The job isn't totally done but it is coming together. Afterwards we browsed the restore and found a locking mailbox for only $20. Finally we went on a hike with the dogs. It was perfect weather and we had a great time. After a little down time at home we rode our bikes (taking Aven in the bike trailer) to the Greek Food Festival. This is about the 6th or 7th year in a row I've gone. Nothing can beat fresh cooked Loukamades (like Greek donut's cooked in hot grease and sprinkled with cinnamon and lathered with honey)...YUM! Afterwards Abe went to a friends house to drink beer and watch movies and after I put Aven down for bed I relaxed on the couch and cuddled with our doggies.

Sunday was pouring down rain all day but after church Abe watched Aven so I could go to the mall and shop for some new work clothes. My trip was successful and I got a lot accomplished in only an hour! After I got home we straightened up a bit and I made dessert to take to a friend's house while Abe took in a quick bike ride with Eleanor while their was a brief break in the rain. We went to the Young's house for dinner (a Javanese-chicken curry-Indonesian food). As always it was delicious and a new experience for me. I've got to learn how to cook with curry. Mostly it was a great night of good food and fun hanging out with our friends. While we were chatting and eating dinner, Aven rolled over from her back to her front for the first time. She was laying on a blanket next to my chair and all of a sudden she was under my chair! She's done this same thing a few times in the last few days (waking up in the middle of the night since she's rolled onto her tummy and can't get back).

No day is really perfect because there are always bound to be dirty diapers (with babies of course), some disagreements or frustrations but overall we had a wonderful weekend as a family. It is okay to let some things go like cleaning and the like to spend time together and that was exactly what we did.

No comments: