09 March 2008

Random Me



Tagged by Andi to post 7 random things about myself:


1. I love color. I am not necessarily the most creative person in the world but I love looking at fabric, paper and anything really colorful. I started a trend among my friends to buy Fiestaware dishes because they are so wonderfully colored. Due to this fascination with colors (and the fact that they keep adding new colors) I now have 13 place settings for both my husband and I to eat off of. I also enjoy the names of the colors that Fiestaware has chosen. Here are the colors I've collected so far:


  • Turquoise

  • Tangerine

  • Sea Mist

  • Scarlet

  • Cobalt Blue

  • Shamrock

  • Persimmon

  • Peacock

  • Cinnabar

  • Periwinkle (blue)

  • Plum

  • Juniper

  • Light Yellow (not sure of exact color name)

I'm also a nerd because I know which colors are retired and cannot be purchased anymore. One color that they produced awhile ago but is currently not available is chartreuse (it is so beautiful!). Okay, enough about dishes. Color also intrigues me because when I went to repaint my house, there were certain colors I wouldn't pick simply because they had odd or uninteresting names. The ones I chose were: Clivedan Soil (a deep chocolately brown for the trim), Milk Sugar (a lovely shade of white but sounds so much more interesting and tasty), and last of all Weathered Glass (my favorite shade of greenish blue that always lights up my day even during winter).


2. I am a terribly slow reader. I do love to read but it almost always takes me a few months to finish a book. I finally just finished John Berendt's book City of Falling Angels which I started mid-January. Check out my book list on my blog of books that I do like to read. I just started a book called The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and it is intriguingly good so far!


3. I often wear a sweatshirt that I've owned since 1993. Although it is relegated to be my cozy sweatshirt (around the house only), I still wear it almost daily. During high school I used to wear it constantly. It has lost its zipper pull and one of the front pockets is starting to tear away from the body of the sweatshirt, the drawstring went missing years ago and the cuff links are stretched but it still keeps me warm day in and out. I bought it at Mervyn's. If anyone doesn't believe me I have a picture of myself wearing it beside the bus in 1993!!


4. I still anally balance my checkbook. Call me crazy or too organized but I account for every single debit card receipt. Even those totalling only $.55 for a coffee refill. I opened my current checking account in 1998 and I've balanced it ever since then. I love online bill pay and rarely use checks but I always, always write down my receipts and checks and balance it monthly. Just because I work at a bank doesn't mean that this is why; plenty of my coworkers don't ever balance their checkbooks....I must just be old fashioned.


5. I love sweets. Anyone who knows me know that this isn't too much of a secret but they probably don't know just how much I crave them on a daily basis. Often if I have no true sweets in the house (like ice cream or cookies or the like), I resort to fruit or granola bars or a packet of sugary oatmeal. Even a cinnamon raisin english muffin can do the trick.


6. I own every single Alison Krauss and Alison Krauss & Union Station CD and have seen them in concert twice (once at an outdoor concert in Roseburg, OR and once at the Strawberry Music Festival in California). I love Alison's voice as it sounds so effortless and lofty. She sings so gently and yet so full. The bluegrass and folk influence really inspire me and remind me why I love singing. My favorite moment was when I saw them play in Roseburg, OR. It was towards the end of the concert and many people had already left because a few encores had already been played. Then, they invited the remaining members of the audience to come up close to the stage. They removed all amplification and played the song: There is a Reason from the album So Long, So Wrong. The words were so magical and so clear and sweet in the warmth of the evening dusk.


I've seen hard times and I've been told


There isn't any wonder that I fall


Why do we suffer, crossing off the years


There must be a reason for it all.


I've trusted in you, Jesus, to save me from my sin


Heaven is the place I call my home


But I keep on getting caught up in this world I'm living in


And your voice it sometimes fades before I know


Hurtin' brings my heart to You, crying with my need


Depending on Your love to carry me


The love that shed His blood for all the world to see


This must be the reason for it all


Hurtin' brings my heart to You, a fortress in the storm


When what I wrap my heart around is gone


I give my heart so easily to the ruler of this world


When the one who loves me most will give me all


In all the things that cause me pain You give me eyes to see


I do believe but help me unbelief


I've seen hard times and I've been told


There is a reason for it all.


7. This Easter marks the 10th anniversary of becoming a Christian for me. Although I don't always feel like I'm following all that I set out to be and do, I have faith in the process of becoming a child of God. From following Abe to Seattle by myself at 18 to being fired from a church, travelling in the wilderness of Alaska and the cities of Europe, God has kept me safe and always shown me more grace and mercy than I ever deserve.


And now, since according to Kari, I don't have any other friends to tag! This is it. I hope you've learned something interesting, nerdy or incriminating about me ! Happy March.

1 comment:

Andi Mae said...

You are so cute! I actually learned a lot about you that I didn't know...didn't know that you had all of the Allison Krauss cds- you should burn me one, I don't have any! Didn't know about your old sweatshirt, or that you became a Christian 10 years ago...I do the same thing when I am deperate for sweets- I'll find anything around the house- hot chocolate, fruit, yogert, bread with jam...